[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default The perfect sailboat engine....

Wayne.B said:

My first cruising sail boat had one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIBJ...eature=related

Notice the "Dynastart" (combination generator and starter), and the
compression release lever. It was very easy to hand crank.

My family had a cruiser (a racer-cruiser in it's day) with one of
those too. In fact, the test for us kids to be able to take it out
without a grown-up was if we could hand start the engine. The boat's
battery would usually die after a few hours of anything in the 12V
system being turned on, so it was a regular & necessary procedure.

It was made more complicated on that boat by the presence of one leg
of the companionway ladder, which had been permanently installed and
was in the way of the crank. Took a little practice.

Jere Lull wrote:
Still have a crank handle for one. Prefer the 2GM we now have.

You saving it, just in case?

Somebody told me a long long time ago that the old one-lung diesels
would run on peanut oil.
The original Frybrid!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King