Ron Magen

Default Any Experience With Simon Watts' "Building The Norwegian Sailing Pram"???

Gerry,
I've read the answers from Meindert & Bill.

BRASS is much to soft . . . not sure of the actually 'pressure' on each
screw. If you follow the 'pattern' of 'rivet & rove' placement . . . there
are a HELL of a LOT of them. If you do go that route, I would recommend
Marine Bronze. Also, make a 'test seam' and soak it well, about a week, to
see what will happen.

What you might want to investigate is a 'modern' interpretation of the
construction method . . . GLUED LAPSTRAKE. It would do away with using
rivets OR screws {of course you could always put in some 1/4in ones AFTER,
to visually 'simulate' the 'old way'}. This would also eliminate the annual
'swelling tight' and 'working' of the rivets . . . and the periodic
'tightening' that would be required.

This method is acceptable by many builders of 'traditional design' boats.
And even Mystic Seaport regards it as a method for building boats that will
be used in 'livery' or from the plans they sell. If you can 'check with the
designer' - absolutely do so.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Gerry Wolfe" wrote in message
Recently purchased these plans and am considering building this
sailing pram.

Anyone out there with any experience with this one???
I'm a novice woodworker; is this lapstrake construction beyone me???
Instructions call for copper nails (rivets) for lap fastenings (1/2"
planks). How about using brass screws instead???

advTHANKSance, g.