Larry Larry is offline

Default Firefox curiosity...

HK wrote in news:eMKdnXWtWoSj-
:

Firefox 3.0 was scheduled to be released for download today and it was.

The servers on which it was located for download were overwhelmed by

the
demand and burped.

I'd forgotten about today until I saw your original message. The
download and install was under 6 minutes when I hit the server straight
from the webpage. I got one refusal to connect first, then it went fast
and furious the 2nd time.

I don't see any marked differences, except in a couple of features like
the self-searching history list which is different.

More bloatware....

I've been testing FF3 for Linux for a few weeks with one of the beta test
geniuses working on the Maemo Linux port for the Nokia N8xx Linux
tablets. Other than a couple bugs, it worked fine, even in Alpha
release. The neatest thing is they gave us two versions, full Firefox 3
with full menus, then a compact version I just love. For instance, the
Google search is incorporated right into the URL entry box. If you type
words, you get a search. If you enter a URL, it ignores the search and
goes straight there. Other functions have been streamlined for the
little 5" screen to make more room for the load of SPAM and what little
content is left on 99% of the non-private webpages.

FF3 on WinXP sucks up over 30MB of drive space, by itself, at least in
its directory, not shared files. On the Linux tablet, that comes down to
less than 4MB in Maemo Linux, works and looks exactly the same on the
smaller touchscreen. Ask yourself why....(c;