Glenn Ashmore

Default Sizing Hydraulic Rams

Doing a really rough vector analysis it appears that with the rudder
within 15º of midships there is very little difference in the turning
force between a single and a double cylinder setup but because one
cylinder is pushing out while the other is pulling in, the pressure on
the pintle is somewhat less. Not sure it is enough to justify a second
cylinder with the extra cost, hose and fittings though.

Not much to be gained in redundancy either. The most likely point of
failure is not the cylinders but the pump, hose and fittings.

garry crothers wrote:

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message

"garry crothers" wrote in message

Excuse my ignorance, but how can I tell if the cylinder is double action

or

single. I've just looked at the Vetus catalogue and cant see any

reference

to single or double?

I think all Vetus cylinders are double action. If you see one hose nipple

on

each end of the cylinder, they definately are.

Besides, I fail to see how two rams can prevent any twist anywhere in the
rudder system.

Meindert

I believe that the advantage with two rams is that, because one cylinder
pushes aft, while the other pulls forward with the same force, the only
force on the rudder stock is the desired twisting, and no side loading is
imposed, as the case would be with the use of a single cylinder.

But then again I am no expert,

garry

--
Glenn Ashmore