posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default VHF/Hailer/Fog Horn Suggestions

The radar arch is a possibility, but the major reason for having this is
for a fog horn and having the hailer right above my head seems very noisy.
Everything on a boat is a compromise though...

"sv Endeavor" wrote in
:

Have you considered mounting the speaker on the KISS pole or the radar
pole?

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:00:13 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I've been trying to decide where to mount the hailer. I had wanted
to mount it just above by foredeck light, but after looking at the
dimensions, I don't want to have my tape-drive jib swinging past a
9"+ protrusion on a regular basis, even if there is a guard.

So, I was thinking of mounting the hailer just above the jib box. I
have a 7/8 rig. A person who used to commission Freedoms commented
that he was afriad that this was too high. I would have thought
that the higher, the better as the sound would carry further. Any
thoughts?

=======================

What about hanging it under a mast spreader or mounted on the
forward tip of the bow pulpit?

I don't have spreaders. I have a carbon fiber mast. The bow pulpit
was suggested by someone else, but I'm just worried about having it
washed away
in big seas. On a fairly regular basis the bow gets buried.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org