Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Miami to BVI

On 2008-05-06 07:44:47 -0400, Wayne.B said:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:31:50 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.

Bad advice Jere. LIS experiences very few hurricanes, about the same
frequency as the Chesapeake. The area in question by our intrepid
cruise planner experiences multiple hurricanes every season. He is
talking about sailing hundreds of miles off shore in a sailboat with no
time or opportunity to seek shelter.

Sorry to directly disagree, but I been there, done that, and know both
areas intimately.

LI gets more storms and hurricanes than the BVI or any other single
"Caribbean" island group ("quotes" allow for including the Bahamas and
Bermuda, which aren't in the Caribbean.)

As a BVI "expert" for more than a decade, I get many reports. To date,
I have fielded exactly one 'cane experience in the BVI, and their
experience was that they were "forced" into a hurricane hole for one
day. They listened to the local forecasts, chose that day to shop
onshore, and were paid to enjoy the experience. They cared not that
they had to wear their foulies as they walked around.

A typical Chesapeake squall line is more "interesting" than their
experience. Chesapeake squall lines are a wake-up call for world
cruisers who have been through 'canes or brushed by them. We often
experience 110+ knot winds for an hour or more. A fairly recent one put
28 boats on a local anchorage's beaches.

--
Jere Lull