Wayne B

Default Long Island Sound wave height question

ospam (Chris) wrote in message ...
Heading out on the sound to do some kayaking in the near future and I have a
question. This situation is completely hypothetical: If the National Weather
Service forecasts winds of 15-20kts from the north on Long Island Sound and
wave heights of say....2-3ft, does this mean that these max wave heights will
be on the north shore of Long Island, considering the wind direction? So when
I read NWS wave height forecasts for the sound, should I take off or add to
them based on which shore I am on relative to the wind direction? Thanks in
advance to anyone that is able to help.

Chris

========================
Chris, wave height is an issue of concern but your biggest risk
is getting hit by a power boat. Kayaks can be hard to see in
open water and there are way too many guys zipping around at
speed in boats with poor forward visibility.

Back to wave height. In a 20 kt northerly, waves can build to
2 feet within a mile of shore. If you stay within several hundred
yards, waves should be less that 1 foot unless there is an unusual
current rip situation or a power boat wake issue. I'd recommend
staying close in to the shoreline because you'll see more, minimize
the collision risk and be in protected water for the most part.

Just my 2 cents worth.