William R. Watt

Default ideas/plans for a small rowing/saiing boat

bear ) writes:

- light enough to car top - I don't want to invest in a trailer

pretty well limited to a canoe. light because they are narrow. a boat wide
enought to carry sail will be heavier. canoes are made to carry over
portages. not so sailboats and rowboats. if you're going alone I'd
limit boat weight to 65-70 pounds.

- able to land it on a beach - I think that means I want a dagger
board. The lake at the cottage is shallow (3 feet) for about 50 yards
out
- able to row it well, I'll be rowing it more than sailing through
the marshes etc.
- needs to hold 2 adults and one child, ideally 3 adults
- about 14 feet long - my building space isn't that large

14 ft is usually called a "solo" canoe due to limited load capacity. can carry
two adults and a child but no baggage to speak of.

I plan on using it (in order of usage) in an enclosed bay (Burlington
Bay, inside of the bridge), at Long Point (Lake Erie) in the bay and
the marshes.

I like the look of the 'Cosine Wherry' but it doesn't have a sail
option and I'm loathe to go adding to plans on my first try.

thanks in advance

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm