Eide

Default ideas/plans for a small rowing/saiing boat

Strip plank or stitch and glue will be just a little easier to build than a
lapstrake, but with half your time spent sanding epoxy. If you like epoxy
and 'glass, go for the strip or stitch - if not do the lapstrake.

Eide

"bear" wrote in message
om...
I've been planning on building a boat next spring but I now have a
friend with a cottage so my plan to build a canoe may turn into
building something that sails.

I've done some preliminary investigation and I like the 'Norwegian
Sailing Pram' by Simon Watts, but frankly the lapstrake construction
looks to be a bit over my head. I have read Kayakcraft and the cedar
strip technique looks more like what I could do well.

I'm not a boat guy so appologies in advance if I write something
incorrect.

This is what I'd like in a boat:

- light enough to car top - I don't want to invest in a trailer
- able to land it on a beach - I think that means I want a dagger
board. The lake at the cottage is shallow (3 feet) for about 50 yards
out
- able to row it well, I'll be rowing it more than sailing through
the marshes etc.
- needs to hold 2 adults and one child, ideally 3 adults
- about 14 feet long - my building space isn't that large

I plan on using it (in order of usage) in an enclosed bay (Burlington
Bay, inside of the bridge), at Long Point (Lake Erie) in the bay and
the marshes.

I like the look of the 'Cosine Wherry' but it doesn't have a sail
option and I'm loathe to go adding to plans on my first try.

thanks in advance