Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default duplicate nav lights panel

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:33:41 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:03:36 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 05:59:59 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

"Bob Crantz" wrote

You could always replace the in cabin switches with manual/remote
circuit
breakers (RCCBs) and place the circuit breaker control switches out
in
the
cockpit. That would keep the power circuit the same as you have it
now
and
the controls in both places would be exact duplicates, no need for
three
way switches, etc. You would know if they were on or off too.

Amen!

Bob Crantz

Well, they already rejected a latching relay as "to complex" even
though
they are readily available, cheaper, easier to install and more
reliable
than a 3-way circuit. An RCCB costs 20 times as much and impossible
find except from specialized aviation or industrial control sources.

Or, if remembering to turn them on or off is a problem, you could
simply
get in
the habit of turning on the NAV lights when you get underway as part
of
the same
ritual when you get other things ready, and turn them off when you
return
and
put things away. That means you can verify they are on by a physical
check, too,
when you go forward to untie the safety tie around your furled
headsail.
No
modifications needed. It's perfectly acceptable to run the NAV lights
whenever
underway, even at high noon on a sunny day. These days, with LED NAV
lights, it
doesn't present much of a problem of running down the batteries.

Steaming light can be rigged to go on and off with the engine.

This is an interesting idea... I don't have LEDs, but still... I could
always switch over to LEDs, which I've been thinking about doing also.
Given
the conditions, it wouldn't be totally bizarre to have them on in
preparation for the summer fog we know we'll get at some point.

I figure that all the other plans I've heard involved spending money
and doing a fair amount of work. Seems like this plan would be less
money and work, and ultimately simpler and just as effective. You even
get the bonus of increased reliability, and much lower power
consumption. My running lights, which used to draw over 3 amps, now
draw .3 amps TOTAL for the three combined. Especially on a sailboat
with minimal ability to charge batteries, that's a big plus.

I'm going to check it out... the LEDs shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not
particularly gifted when it comes to electical stuff (like getting the
stern
light to work with engine on... just as likely to get it right or fry
something and have to call the fire dept.) LOL

If you have a key switch that must be turned to operate the engine, it
may also have a switched 12 volts terminal for accessories and gauges
that get power when you turn it on. If not, you could change out the
keyswitch to one that does have that.

Yes. It should have a switched 12vdc terminal. Next time I'm at the boat,
I'm going to check.

The two lights that would need to come on when the engine is running would
be the stern and steaming lights. I'm trying to think of another situation
when I'd want either of those two on. I can't think of a situation, but if
there is one, it would be nice to have a bypass to force them on.

Golf was brutal... I think I'll stick to sailing. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com