P.C.

Default Yacht Design School/Amateurs?

Hi

"Backyard Renegade" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message news:_BUgb.18539.

Anyway,
like I said, I see a lot of quick CAD Plan hawkers on the net, and
lot's of homemade boats on the water not in compliance with flotation,
generally accepted construction standards, improper documentation and
a host of other things. I have even seen this while getting my own
boats inspected, I keep my mouth shut there though. I know it would be
almost impossible to regulate the builders, but waiting for something
terrible to happen so "natural selection" (extreme litigation) put the
idiots out of business does not seem the way to go either. Joe Schmo
can not build a train and or an auto and put it on the road or the
track, why should a boat be any different?
Just thinking out loud, Scotty from, well, you know.

A lot of the cheap plans you se is no good anyway ; when you expect just a bit
of advise and realise that the design is 70 years old you maby understand that
even you saved a few $ , you will "pay" by the fact that you get an outdated
design and no way to find relevant advise. ----------- Bad idear from my point
of view, beside also 70 years ago there was also "desktop-designers" ; people
who produced boat plans without having a clue about what boat design is about
and what I find more serious than the lack of basic skills from the designers
side, is the fact that an amature builder have no way to know or reconise a set
of "toy-plans" from real boat plans.
-------- Anyone with just a bit experience will know just what to look for , but
an amature builder will rather think that the simpler the design , the easier
it's build where you with just a bit experience will know that surely that can
be true, if you want a bad boat.

With boat plans the builder often will need the advise of the designer, and as
you can not fight copying of outdated designs, your only option is, to offer a
service that is worth paying beside a repurtation that will make the designs of
yours into somthing special , for the one who chose to build one of your
designs. The web is a very difficult marked ,and for decades the boat plan
marked been flooded by old fasion designs , -------then I took the choice to
offer somthing more or rather somthing different , other designers chosen their
way to promote their designs, my way been to focus on the options with CAD.
Beside I took the stand, that amature boatbuilding, alway's been the platform
for an exiting hobby. ---------- now please know that I do talk with a bit of
experience, I am a boatbuilder and even lectured CAD at the boatbuilding school
here in Dk. But my experience is, that if you think you can make a decent offer
, by selling your own designs, you soon are up against 70 year old designs made
on a desktop, and it seem no one want modern designs and safe boats, if you can
find plans that offer you to save a few $. ------- Ontop as you know, I tried
to build ontop the tradisional lofting and section plans , and still today I
guess Cyber-Boat is the only concept, offering true lapstrake 3D models, as the
basic for the unfolded planks , where anything else I seen concerning CAD, been
smoothened surfaces , and that will not unfold the true panels.

When I closed down the Cyber-Boat site as a buisness, it never had given any
true profit but a lot of trouble being among the first few, just like you, who
tried making the web into a new marked, --------- I failed but as full-scale
plans at that time wasn't even accepted in this group ; I had a crowd against me
telling everyone , that full-scale plans didn't work , even I proven lots of
designs acturly building them, -------- but realy I got out of it, with the
experience , that people rather have a clumpsy Galant-Elefant with all flat
bottom, rather than a wonderfull new design where the designer translated the
rigid CAD tools, into somthing to acturly profit amature boatbuilding. But this
is the way things work and I guess a lot of Bolger boxes is what show american
children the true beauty of tradisional boatbuilding , I spended a lot of time
and a lot of efford , but as you know , either they sit bored behind their desk
getting their fee anyway , so nothing is easier than taking the bread from
somones mouth.
And esp. when paper is so cheap and printing is so cheap and you don't need to
pay a designer, ----- I dropped out even I bet my home made unfolding software
and other in house software is still today better than what you could find,
beside the software I develobed was produced in a real building process and
design process. But this is how the web decided ; 70 year old designs and old
fasion , pre.computer age building methods , is still what you have to fight,
even you think boatbuilding shuld not be a craft to be seen in a museum , there
isn't even any respect for the craft when it is up against an Elegant Elefant
and a crowd of usenet trolls, laughing the back out their pans , for every piece
of bread they can steal from your mouth , ------- fact is fact and boxes are
boats.
Beside if your father or grand father way back in the 50' produced a squarebox
boathull from some old popular mechanics, you are in your right to destroy any
attemt from any designer trying to make his living on decent designs. Those are
acturly as bad, as as soon as you discussed with somone who acturly want a nice
modern design, you can be sure somone will tell the world what a boat is , and
that is some 70 year old design .
P.C.