not-it.org

Default Polyester epoxy

If this is not a "troll", then read on:

I would have a problem with you mixing the two types of resins - I
wouldn't buy the boat. It's not because of the epoxy - I'm not
convinced that the poly should be next to the hull.

I have had great luck with epoxy staying stuck to wood. Not so with
poly - it's designed to stick to itself and fiberglass, and f/glass,
and itself. I've had delaminations occur on my tests in using poly to
stick f/g to a wood hull. It may take a few years to happen, but thats
why I wouldn't buy a used boat constructed that way.

It may work wonderfully for years, and I hope it will for you,
However, do a lot of reading on the chemistry and bonding
characteristics before you sacrifice sweat and wallet-padding.
It will be cheaper to build it only once (duh... but true).

I have spent *months* in the past going over it, and over it again, to
eventually "bite the bullet" and get epoxy, and so far am still glad.

litmus test:
If it's a boat to be proud of, its worth the epoxy.

If it's a boat to :
try a new design - poly
take care of for 20 years - epoxy
beat up, and become a 'planter' in 4 years - poly.
make a f/g mold for a one-off - poly
annoy others with fumes - poly

- - -
Why not slap together a cheap-ply row boat, and test this out, first.

make itunder 8ft and you can build it out of 1 or 2 sheets of
plywood, ~4mm. Then glass it - the poly wont be all that much for one
gallon, thats the premise, here. Maybe buy the glass for both all at
once, n save a few bucks.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:21 +0100, "carlp" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions or problems resulting from the use of polyester for
the bulk of construction and epoxy to seal the polyester, say a 85 gm.glass
woven cloth impregnated with epoxy .
Only the cost saving would be large, considering the difference in the price
of the two resins.
I have started on the frames of a 23 ft. WL. sailboat, strong back is in
place.
cheers
Carl.