posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default VW Diesel conversion on Mercruiser I/O

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:58:00 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hello all,
I have just purchased an older Starcraft 18' runabout that
currently has a 120hp 4cyl Merc gas engine coupled to a series 120
Merc I/O drive. I intend to convert this package, using the I/O, to
diesel using a 52hp 1.6L VW diesel engine in place of the merc 4 cyl.
Due to the relative unavailability (and cost) of a wet exhaust, I
intend to use a dry stack, and run the diesel with a radiator normally
found in the VW vehicles...side mounted and all tucked into a rear
engine box
that will be manufactured to allow adequate breathing and heat
dissipation. My question is regarding the pump system in the I/
O...can I just remove the impeller, or should I direct its output into
an open circuit back into the bay? Does the pump in the I/O have any
cooling or lubricating capacity for the unit?
This project is intended to provide for a work boat used in Coos Bay,
Oregon, for non commercial fishing and crabbing. Reliability and
economy of use are considerations.

Many years ago the lobstermen on the Maine coast used automobile
engines in their boats. They used a "keel cooler" consisting of
several lengths of galvanized pipe. the system was fresh water only
and used the original auto water pump. Even used anti-freeze in the
winter time. A much more effective system then a radiator. After all
if you have the whole ocean to cool the engine why use a less
efficient medium?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)