[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Roll Pitch & Comfort

On Feb 27, 2:51 pm, wrote:
... No, the ratio does not say that "bigger" is more comfortable.

Yes it does.
Look at the math.

Increase displacement, "Comfort Ratio" goes up. Increase LOA but not
LWL, the ratio goes up. The funny thing is that if you take the same
LOA and Disp, and reduce LWL, the ratio goes up. If you keep
everything the same and decrease beam, the ratio goes up. ...

Help me out Doug. The formula is:

C = D/(.65(.7Lwl+.3Loa)*B^1.33

Where C is the "Comfort Ratio", D is displacement, Lwl is the length
on the load waterline, Loa is the overall length and B is the beam.

Now, if you fix the displacement but make the boat bigger in any
dimension the ratio goes down. All of the dimensions are in the
denominator. Thus, it seems to me that making the boat "bigger" makes
it score less well on the CR. I don't follow how you can say that if
you increase the LOA but not LWL the ratio goes up. Are we looking at
the same formula?

-- Tom.