Paul R. LaBrie

Default Old Towne Square Stern Canoe

Ummm. I think you've confused Gilpatrick's plans for "laker" canoes
with those of the "Grand Laker" which is a 19' square-stern. Gilpatrick
provides one set of "plans" for a Grand Laker but I'm not sure which
edition it is in. I do agree with your comments on the shop photos.
Anyone building a stripper per Gilpatrick might also be advised to
reference a book like "Canoecraft" as well. it used to be that forms
plans for Gilpatrick's designs were available from DeLorme (the Maine
map makers). Don't know if this is still so or not.

Gary Wright wrote:

In my first edition, there is a photo of a 13 ft Laker, but no photo of a
finished 16 ft Laker which is what the plans in the book are for - so it is
not immediately clear if the plans are for a double ender or square stern.
However the plans have 9 stations spaced at 18 inches snip....

In the late '80s I built a 19' Grand Laker square-stern to Gilpatrick's
plans. He did issue a caveat that they were not "his plans" but that he
was simply supplying them for those interested. The resulting boat was
mostly wonderful (it was based on molds, I believe, from some of the
original Grand Laker square sterns) but it did have some problem with
oil-canning -- which I solved by putting in compression struts between
the thwarts and keelson. Given modern (and heavier) 4 stroke outboards
and given the American propensity towards heavier passengers, I'd
redesign such a square stern canoe today for more buoyancy/bearing aft
and would take some of the flatness out of the bottom. These are neat
boats.

- paul