posted to rec.boats.cruising, rec.boats.building
[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Roll Stabilization Tanks

On Dec 30, 4:37 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
The required size is a function of the vessel's stability so, if you have a
vessel with the stability I hope you have, the tanks will be huge ...

Unlike Roger, I'm not a naval architect and I don't have any
experience with this. Still, I suppose a boat with low initial
stability but with adequate stability at high angles might benefit
from smaller tanks. I can imagine a case where a ballasted sailboat
has been converted to a pure motor boat where even a few hundred
pounds of ballast in anti-roll tanks might make the boat at least as
comfortable as it was before the mast was removed. On paper, anti-
roll tanks seem like a reasonable alternative for some types of slow
speed vessels that require additional stabilization and that are
operating in somewhat protected waters. The costs are noise, weight,
difficulty of installation, reduced stability and a limited range of
effectiveness. There was a good article discussing active and passive
stability devices on smaller vessels in Professional Boat Builder in
'04.

-- Tom.