Curtis CCR

Default Rope-a-dope

Wayne.B wrote in message . ..
On 25 Aug 2003 11:15:58 -0700, (Curtis CCR)
wrote:
While I have never been able to explain how it is done without being
able to demonstrate, I often use another technique of alternating the
direction of the coil so that you don't twist at all.

You are probably referring to the technique of coiling line or wire so
that if forms a figure 8 pattern. When coiled in this way the the
twists cancel each other out which avoids kinking, and the line can be
paid out very rapidly. This is a common technique on racing sailboats
where the halyards which raise and lower the sails must be dropped
quickly at the turning marks and with no snafus.

No figure 8. It still appears like a "normal" coil. Next time I work
with the A/V people on our campus, I'll ask them if they have a name
for it.