obo

Default Rope-a-dope

Hi Fellow Boaters;

Hot, dry weather in the rainforest areas of Vancouver Island, but had
the opportunity to enjoy Desolation Sound on the 'Miss Adventure' - two
names that make you check your boat and provisions twice!

Can any one give me a simple means of dealing with rope lengths around
the boat? My bow and stern lines are about 15' each and I'd like to
hang them in loose coils from the bow or stern rails, but they always
seem to tangle or come loose to fall in the water.

Any knots or gadgets you'd recommend. Thanks.

Gfretwell

I make a coil around my arm (elbow to hand) with the eye coming up last, Then
take a couple turns around the top 1/4 of the coil and pull the eye through the
top loops of of the coil. Hang the eye on anything handy. It will uncoil
cleanly.
Don White

At our Power Squadron class, the instructor said it wasn't very seamanlike
to wrap the line around your hand/elbow.
They taught us to make the loups just by holding one end in your left hand
and feeding with the right, applying a slight twist to offset the 'lie' of
the rope.

Gfretwell wrote in message
I make a coil around my arm (elbow to hand) with the eye coming up last,

Then
take a couple turns around the top 1/4 of the coil and pull the eye

through the
top loops of of the coil. Hang the eye on anything handy. It will uncoil
cleanly.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:49:39 +0000, obo wrote:

Hi Fellow Boaters;

Hot, dry weather in the rainforest areas of Vancouver Island, but had
the opportunity to enjoy Desolation Sound on the 'Miss Adventure' - two
names that make you check your boat and provisions twice!

Hey, going there starting next weekend! (Now that I have a holding
tank, I can go to Squirrel Cove, Prideau Haven, etc...) Looking forward to
enjoying fresh crabs and oysters! For the sake of the fire-fighters,
hoping it will rain.

Can any one give me a simple means of dealing with rope lengths around
the boat? My bow and stern lines are about 15' each and I'd like to
hang them in loose coils from the bow or stern rails, but they always
seem to tangle or come loose to fall in the water.

Any knots or gadgets you'd recommend. Thanks.

I stow mine. Bowline in the anchor locker, stern and midships line in the
cockpit locker.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - with (working!) holding tank

Gould 0738

Hey, going there starting next weekend! (Now that I have a holding
tank, I can go to Squirrel Cove, Prideau Haven, etc...) Looking forward to
enjoying fresh crabs and oysters! For the sake of the fire-fighters,
hoping it will rain.

Have a good cruise, Lloyd. We're heading up in about 3 weeks. At least you'll
get to Refuge Cove before they close the burger stand for the year. :-)

If you have an extra day, and particularly if you haven't been in there, check
out Gorge Harbour (note the Canuck spelling) at Cortez. You're almost there
when you get to Desolation Sound.

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
At our Power Squadron class, the instructor said it wasn't very seamanlike
to wrap the line around your hand/elbow.

Correct. It twists the line.

obo

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Desolation Sound area. If you want a
wonderful freshwater swim in a truly warm lake, head across the Sound to
Roscoe Bay (just where Waddington Channel begins) and Black Lake.
High tide is best, since the Bay is very shallow.