posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] PhantMan@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Installing A Below Deck Fuel Tank

I'm interested in this topic as well and would like to know what other
alterations might be required. For instance, venting the bilge? Or
construction of a special tank compartment to prevent leaks from
spilling into the bilge? Coast Guard Safety requirements of note? That
sort of thing. In other words, I'd like to know what's not necessarily
obvious that I need to know.
Rick

On Sat, 10 Nov 07, redtravelmaster wrote:
I'm hoping some folks here can advise me on this. I'm starting to
replace the deck on my 1975 Regal Countess 180 outboard. I use
portable fuel tanks tucked against the transom under the rear seats
and transom pocket.

As part of my restoration project I'd like to add a fuel tank under
the deck, almost amidships. I'm thinking this would give better
balance for plane, and also free up storage space I'm now using for
fuel tanks. I've located a Moeller 28 gallon belly tank that would
work fine, except I will need to cut away part of the center stringer
to install it.

Are there any structural problems with changing the stringers like
this? I would expect to frame around the tank to build a mounting
pocket, which should replace strength from the stringer I cut. Any
other issues I should be considering?

Thanks