JimB[_2_] JimB[_2_] is offline

Default Anchors

"Glenn (s/v Seawing)" wrote in message
Regarding anchoring technique, I always do a 5:1 scope and make sure
that I include the tidal range and the height of the bow roller above
the water in the calculation. It's amazing how mane people forget the
later in their calculation, especially in shallow water. We also back
down heavily on the anchor with a reversing Max prop, so we get a good
feel for the holding. I'm always amazed at the people who throw their
anchor overboard and don't back down!
-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

YES! More than once I've cringed to hear someone zip into the anchorage
(upwind of me of course) & toss anchor (chain rattling) & run for the bar.
I woke up one morning to find one such boat beside me after dragging all
the way across the anchorage. He insisted he didn't drag.

snipped a bit

Yes, people mostly use the depth of water and forget the distance from bow
roller to the water in their scope calculations (if they calculate at
all). I'm anything but an expert but as I'm keenly aware I am responsible
for the safety of my vessel and those aboard, I take anchoring very
seriously.
Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

YES! And the test of good anchoring is to check that your anchor holds
aginst full astern.
--
JimB
Google 'jimb sail' or go www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com