claus claus is offline

Default Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel - follow-up

Although the EPA ULSD requirements for off-road engines do not go into
effect until 2010, U.S. refineries have stopped manufacturing non ULSD fuel
as of June 1, 2007. "

I decided to check on the above statement by asking the author. Here is his
reply as well as the document from Chevron ( http://tinyurl.com/2xwze7 )that
he refers to:

"
Great question,
In fact, Marine and Locomotive applications are the last to have the new
ULSD regulation take effect. Please see the attached material from Chevron.
Please look at the bottom paragraph on Page 2 and Figure 2.
I suspect that two factors explain why you still get non-ULSD fuel at your
local retailer. First, there is a huge quantity of stored non-ULSD fuel all
over the country. Since the 15ppm regulation has not gone into effect for
marine applications, this stored non-ULSD fuel is being funneled to the
outlets where it can still be used. For example, your local marine fuel
retailer. Second, some fuel used in the US is not refined here. Since the
ULSD fuel refined in the US is more expensive than non-ULSD, I suspect that
there is an increasing amount of fuel importing going on.
That said, I have not made a complete survey of all US refineries. It may
be that there are a few that are still manufacturing both fuel formulations.
It makes very little economic sense for a refinery to make two formulations
of diesel. I suspect that if there are any left, they won't continue for
long.
I appreciate the fact that you have read the article and look forward to
other questions.
Best regards,
Eric Gallant