Jeff Jeff is offline

Default October 26 - What A Drag!

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Well, apparently several reasons. None are particularly
important; I presume it to be that I misread a fouled anchor,
when, instead, it was a lousy mud bottom which had done me in on
the first pull. Not having sampled the bottom directly, but only
by apparent set, I didn't know the nature of it as being -
apparently, in hindsight - the same lousy stuff we abandoned on
the other side of the channel when we first started on our time
in Oxford, when we didn't set well, and I did, indeed, do the bottom
sample, albeit with a 55# Delta.

Duh! What a coincidence - soft mud in two different parts of the
Chesapeake! What are the odds of that?

'''

I can't find anything by him. However, in the book of the same name
by Hinz, the author suggests sampling only a very small portion of
only the surface. If you thought that duck consisted of a few inch
circle of feathers, you'd be missing a pretty good meal, but that's
what you'd get with his soap, grease or other sticky to pull up
something from the bottom. I'll take a core sample or at least a foot
or so of some other means, thanks.

Ah! Hinz is an incompetent bozo because he doesn't advise taking many
core samples to figure out there's mud in the Chesapeake.

No, you're correct that I didn't
do that in my second anchoring location; had I, I might have anchored
differently. My bad. But then, again, I've never been shy about
admitting those, have I?
For god sakes man. Just go to a book store and order it ! ! !
or go
on line and order it

Already read it. Well, already read what I presume you intended
me to read, not something by a nonexistent Hintz. Interesting
reading and I see that it's where you got all your questions.
Now that I know how to find the means to calculate, perhaps I'll
do that. Other than the minutiae of calculation, I didn't see
anything in the book which was new information to me;

Yes, it's clear you have the anchoring thing down pat now.

I did see lots
of old data/equipment and not the first word about third generation
anchors which are available today...

Skip, this has to rank amongst the dumbest things you've said here.
Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how these "third generation anchors"
have made Hinz's work obsolete.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my movie.

The time would be better spent reading a good book on anchoring. I
suggest Hinz.