Chuck Cox Chuck Cox is offline

Default Shared ownership

For the last couple of months, my sailing club has been trying to get
me to buy a new 35' cruising boat to lease back to them. As a result,
I've researched sailboat purchasing, operating expenses, taxes,
financing and depreciation. After reviewing their offer as well as
lease-back programs at SailTime and Sunsail, I've come to the
conclusion that a shared ownership would provide significantly more
sailing time for my money, assuming I can find appropriate and
sufficient co-owners.

I'm thinking 4-8 people could form an LLC to own & operate a mid-30'
sailboat in Boston, used primarily for 1-2 week cruises. It looks
like it would work out to about $1500/yr per 1/8 share for all
expenses, plus the cost of the boat itself.

I'd be interested in the experience of anyone who has shared boat
ownership. How did you structure the ownership? How did you handle
scheduling? Any pitfalls to be aware of? Any general advice?
Chuck Cox
SynchroSystems - embedded computer design - http://synchro.com

my email is politician-proof, just remove the PORK