Gary Warner

Default Buying Boat Batteries - Check My Thinking

Gould,

Thanks for the good comments. I will consider if Group 27 will fit. I'm a
little
confused by the deep-cycle vs. dual use. If deep-cycle will be OK for
starting
then why ever buy/make a dual-use?

OTOH, you could afford to buy cheap batteries a few times for what you'd

spend
for Rolls or Surette. Pay now, or pay later.......but if you only intend

keep the boat a year or two before trading up the average quality cheapies

are
probably the way to go.

We've worked 2.5 years on this boat. We've got more into her than they sell
for.
It was a labor of love and I expect that I'll keep that boat until I'm dead.
The memories
of my father shaping parts, the work he and I and my brother did, the
support from
the rest of our families & friends, well, it just wouldn't be the same on
another boat.

Not to say I wouldn't buy another boat TOO

I guess I'm generally of the mind of keeping the batteries somewhat on the
cheap side.
Not that I want them to fail, but it seems batteries in boats go every
couple years
anyway. Probably because while I try to store them properly over the winter,
can't get down there to "top them off" and and I don't like the idea of a
trickle
charger being connected for weeks at a time without me stopping by to make
sure everything is OK.

Again, Thanks for the comments!
Gary