posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] fairbank56@yahoo.com is offline

Default Electronic Components Waterproofing

On Oct 10, 12:25 pm, Capt John wrote:
If your going to use silicone to seal anything with electronic
components you need to use electronics grade silicone. Standard
silicone sealants give off acetic acid as they cure, this vapor can
react with electronic components and damage them.

I agree with this. I learned this the hard way long ago. Got some
rtv on the back of a circuit board and in short order, you could pull
some of the components right off the board as the acid softened the
solder joints!

Eric