posted to rec.boats.electronics
Capt John Capt John is offline

Default Electronic Components Waterproofing

On Oct 9, 8:54 am, (G) wrote:
In article , Larry wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote in
:

What is the
recommended sealer for plastic assemblies such as remotes,

autopilots,
etc.?

RTV

http://tinyurl.com/2nrbbn

Clear RTV....none finer at any price.
Comes right off when you want to peel stuff apart...NOT A GLUE OR
BONDING agent...it's a SEALER

Permatex gasket products also make great sealers, even at engine
temperatures!
http://tinyurl.com/kdyzb

available at lots of auto parts places, Wally World, Lowes, Home
De-pot, etc.

Don't tell anyone you didn't buy it from the most expensive
"marine" place in town, though....(c;

To me, silicone rtv is a sealer or a glue, its rtv. I always recomended
Permatex "sensor safe" products for electronics. It wasn't clear. Silicone is
to also not a good water vapor in my opinion. An old boating article in Nuts &
Volts said something about this, and also recommended using an enamel
coating first to act as a vapor barier. Lacquer is also not a water vapor
barier. I tried using lacquer nail polish on stuff, and it doesn't work
like enamel.

greg- Hide quoted text -

If your going to use silicone to seal anything with electronic
components you need to use electronics grade silicone. Standard
silicone sealants give off acetic acid as they cure, this vapor can
react with electronic components and damage them. Electronics grade
silicones do not give off acetic acid vapors as they cure, "sensor
save" products are also designed such that they do not give off acetic
acid vapors as they cure. I know on my Furuno radar installation
instructions their's a note about the use of silicone around the
radome for this specific reason.

John