posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Larry Larry is offline

Default AIS hardware and software

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Dick Locke" wrote in message
There seem to be two price points..single channel, serial only for
about $190 from Milltech or dual channel USB capable from Safe Passage
for around $800. I'm thinking single channel is adequate but I my sole
serial port is occupied by the GPS and I've had problems in the past
with the serial/usb adapters. Anyone know of a single channel USB
output receiver?

You could use a MiniPlex-Lite, a small NMEA multiplexer with a USB interface
and one high speed input for your AIS receiver next to two normal NMEA
inputs (GPS, etc). And it comes without the typical problems found with
serial/usb adapters. This box simply works.

Meindert
www.shipmodul.com

Meindert,

No flame intended, really! What are the typical problems with USB hubs?
Thanks!
--

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com