[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation ?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:06:00 -0000, otnmbrd
wrote:

Larry wrote in news:Xns99ADAD78CF807noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Celestial Navigation, while quite romantic and "salty", are no longer
necessary for worldwide navigation.

Larry

No longer necessary, true, but for a long distance sailor the ability to
use it can/could come in handy for many reasons.
Hell, we could say that the Mark 1 eyeball or soundings are no longer
necessary, but we still use them and find good reasons to do so.

You know it's kind of funny. Everyone talks about using an archaic
method of determining position and never mention using either a lead
line to determine depth or a chip log to determine speed.

How come all the advocates of a relative low tech method of
determining a position never mention that the system is unusable for
navigation in tight spaces, narrow channels, etc. and dead reckoning
or taking sights or measuring depth will be necessary.

I never hear anyone recommend having a lead line on board in case your
electronic depth sounder fails or a chip log mounted on the stern
pulpit in case your electronic speed log fails.

I am not saying that one shouldn't learn celestial navigation or not
carry extra life jackets but it is no longer a necessary skill.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)