Larry Larry is offline

Default Thrift shop distiller $9

wrote in news:1189028886.744618.98920
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

What is the motivation to use a distiller if you have a city water
supply?

My personal motivation is to stop the KIDNEY STONES! Charleston's
lakewater/riverwater public water supply is full of elemental dissolved
calcium, enough to make stalactites I think. The whole inside of my
distillers are coated with it, like concrete. It takes some exotic acid
to clean it out. If you've never had a kidney stone pass through the
plumbing, you cannot imagine the PAIN it causes.

My other motivation came after seeing what the distiller DIDN'T distill,
left concentrated in the bottom of its boiler! Lately, in the last
couple of months, the major residue looks like PLUFF MUD, the only way I
can describe it. Water bureaucrats don't want to talk about it, so I
found some public health bureaucrats at DHEC (Department of Health and
Environmental Control) who were much more interested...but may be afraid
to clash with the other bureaucrats. A coverup seems to be in the
making. If you leave a hose on the dock at any marina, the INSIDE of it
turns heavily GREEN with the algae load in the city water in a day!
NOONE leaves a water hose hooked to faucets. This can't be good for
anyone, especially growing children...which makes this more interesting.

Take a gallon of my home made water and sit it in the sun for a month.
NOTHING grows because NOTHING is in my drinking water....including the
flourides and chlorides the government is using to retard the population
growth. Did you know that water departments add chemicals to your
drinking water to REDUCE THE COPPER AND LEAD TEST RESULTS in the
water...instead of REPLACING the copper and lead pipes? I can't even
pronounce it. I'm sure as hell not going to INGEST it if I can stop it.
I try not to eat or drink anything I cannot pronounce or anything "they"
won't tell me what it is for. It has served me well, so far in life.

Why drink sewage when pure water is so simple to make and so cheap, about
25c/gallon at my awful electric rates. Even my parrots love it and have
never gotten sick in 25 years.

Also, is this unit really an option instead of a water-maker for
anchored sail-boats away from city water?
How does it compare at 4 gallons for 500 watts X 24 hours compared to
a water-maker?

The new unit I paid $9 for is a countertop unit that makes 1 gallon at a
time. I'm not sure it would survive long-term exposure to boiling off
seawater. It draws 1350 watts for about 2.5 hours to distill a gallon.
The book says 4 gallons per day. It never suffers from bacterial
breakdown behind an RO barrier contaminating its output.

What's way too bad on power boats is all that waste heat that COULD be
used to distill seawater into pure drinking water just goes up the stack,
or into the seawater cooling. This is CRAZY! All that wasted fuel could
be put to much better use BOILING SEAWATER in an evaporator, like the
Navy uses on ships but on a much smaller scale. We have coolants in
fresh water cooling systems that boil at much higher temperatures than
seawater. We could use other liquids that wouldn't eat the water jacket
but operate at, say, 250-300F in the water jackets, safely, then BOIL
SEAWATER INTO STEAM so we could use more seawater in a steam condensor to
come out with pure distilled fresh water to use in the
powerboat...recovering a useful product from the awful waste heat of the
internal combustion engine....instead of just dumping all that money
overboard. One interesting coolant comes to mind that costs
nothing....USED TRANSMISSION FLUID. Transmission fluid cooling in a
system lines would be as clean 20 years from now as they started...just
like the metal inside the transmission...PRESERVED! Transmission fluid
boils at some godawful high temperature, it's a coolant, already in the
transmission and torque converters. So, instead of dumping the
transmission fluid in the landfill after the engine has used it, why not
fill the fresh water cooling system with it?? The diesel runs
hotter....something diesels REALLY LOVE!....but not hot enough to destroy
the engine. Cooling with transmission fluid doesn't destroy rubber
transmission oil lines, preserves metals, etc., right? Not rocket
science. Transmissions are all oil cooled at much higher than 212F, too.
Transmission oil, used, is a free waste product. No need to buy coolant
that will not freeze. Why don't cars use it? Money for Moguls?

You can blame all this on my diesel vehicles running on free oil from
Chinese restaurants. It has made me think of other waste products that
could be useful to solve problems, not to mention recycle waste that's
drowning us.

Or is it really just for cleaning up the fresh water from your tank
before ingesting?

If you cleaned your tanks, sparkling clean, then poured filthy city water
into them full of crap and bugs and chemicals. What's the point of
cleaning them in the first place?

Larry
--
Wait until you taste a good coffee brewed with pure, not contaminated,
water....(c; I recommend a Lion brand of Kona from the slopes in Hawaii.