Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default August 22 - A Ripping Good Sail, or, Anybody NOAA good forecaster???

On Aug 23, 6:02 am, Bob wrote:
My dear Skip,

I have responded to several of your posts yet no word from you. I will
offer another idea and hope you reply.

As I read this post I get the impression that NOAA is the red headed
step child who never does anythig right. My adivse to yo is to enjoy
the information. Why, cause mariners before yo did not have such a
luxury. Say thyan you to the NOAA people and send them alll a
christmas present

Bob who just got drunk with a Bosun 3rd class from east coast now
driving 47' motor boats on the west coast. Soon to go to surfboat
school. Anybody know Surfman Beth?

Hi, Bob,

My apologies - on the water, I'm an equal-opportunity ignorer.
Actually, nobody's ignored - I just have very limited access and
worse, limited power with which to gain that access. Once we stop
moving so much it will get easier and you'll see more of the
interchange that used to be the norm once I open my digital mouth.

And, in general, this thread was just another of my log posts, not a
request for better weather. I know that you takes what you gets.

In this particular instance, just as was the case in our wreck's
journey, however, the system went to hell in a handbasket in a very
short period. This time, I turned around. I have no doubt that the
boat, under a double or triple reef main, sailing the weather rather
than the course, would have done just fine. However, when the Admiral
is adamant, I don't get into arguments. Since reefing (and its
attendant deck duty) was vetoed, I continued for a bit, but then
headed in.

I have not yet fired up the weather, but last night's forecast was
adequate for the Jersey coast. Unless it's deteriorated, we're off
again in just a little bit. Call it schedulitis, but I want to be in
NYC before dark, which means that going soon is a good idea, as it
should put us there in the early morning; the rest of the day
accommodates mother nature and Murphy fairly reasonably.

On which subject, how does anyone with a destination *NOT* have
"schedulitis" as defined in commentary on our travels? And isn't, as
it's defined, the very act of planning a voyage, a commission of the
sin? If not, how does one ever arrive anywhere, whether by accident
or because they just want to go there? I want to go to NY because
relatives live there. More will arrive. But if I'm not there on a
certain date, one will continue to be there as he has for the last 30+
years, and the other will enjoy his company. But somehow I'm taken to
task for looking forward to arriving...

I gotta go and do the pre-departures. I'll try to come back at some
of the myriad of prior commentary which begs response...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)