posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default mylar/kevlar sails

If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

"SusanWilliams" wrote
Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Or bonded into the laminate.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

That can be achieved pretty easily by taking out some of the luff
round

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Simply put, a boat that I have interest in has a Mylar/Kevlar 155. I
do not intend to race and I anticipate a lot of single handed,
relatively short cruises. While I have always had hank on in the past,
I think roller furling would probably be appropriate for that intended
use. While single handing, I would like to stay off the foredeck as
much as possible.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

Why indeed. I'll probably pass on it.

Not necessarily a reason to pass on the boat, unless it is marginal
choice for several other reasons. It's not expensive to put on a luff
tape, should be a couple hundred bucks.... or you could do it yourself
(the best way to make sure it's done right IMHO)

Another issue is what roller-furling a mylar/kevlar would do to the
longevity... not really a good idea, but the sail should still be good
for at least a couple of seasons if it's otherwise well cared for. A
number of one-designs with roller furlers use mylar & laminate jibs
and go that long.

Interesting thread, thanks for bringing in some new group
participants!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King