2MT 2MT is offline

Default How to protect/seal a cedar deck overlay

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:32:14 +0000, Shanghai wrote:

I'm building a 40 ft. ocean cruising ketch. My deck plan is to be
Port Orford Cedar strips, (about 3/8 inch thick, vertical grain),
epoxied onto a fiberglass sheathed epoxy subdeck. How would you treat
the exposed wood to preserve it but maintain it's non-skid? I'm
thinking of stabilization from shrinkage and cracking of the exposed
surface primarily. Rot protection and stain protection are other
considerations. Real world experience is especially desired.

dont know as you need to protect POC. its gonna get dinged up and its
gonna silver and if you are down where it grows you probably ought to talk
to rick hazard in Port orford.
personally i would go sink it for a couple of weeks in the bay and let it
soak up a bunch of salt water then redry it; salts gonna preserve it
better than most things will.
also it would seem to me that POC is oily and varnish or epoxy is just
going to peel off. i would say toung oil or linseed oil would do the trick.

on skin on frame kayaks we just sink them and let the salt do the job for
us; and yes we do build them from POC. I'm currently bending the ribs on
a POC 17' ATM