KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default re-coring deck and ballast work

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:05:00 -0700, wrote:

On Jul 17, 6:23 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
"KLC Lewis" wrote

I've only seen it done from above, also. You cut out large sections of
the
deck at a time, remove the old core, replace it with new, put the top
back
on, glass it into place, Robert's your father's brother.

And how strong do you think those butt joints that used to be continuous
fiberglass are? This is an approach that is either going to look like
hell
and be strong or look great and be very weak. Take your choice.

It could be done right but I'm sure you could buy a comparable used boat
for
a similar price.

--
Roger Long

Wouldn't you grind out the joints and overlap the joints with new
glass ? That would be strong and look good. But it might be easier
to lay new glass over the whole thing.

Todd Smith

Normally if you butt joint you grind out a shallow vee nearly to the
depth of the original material and extending about 4 inches back from
each side of the joint. You then laminate in progressive widths of
cloth until you fill the vee. You have then effectively turned the but
joint into a continuation of the original material.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Ya, a bevel of about 12 to 1 or 16 to 1 -- the wider the better.