posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Scout sailing vid

"Scout" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry about the camera work, but it was a great evening sail. We dropped
the anchor in a small cove at 9:57 PM. Spent a beautiful night under the
stars.

Ol' Thom, the ending of this video is for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdn9HrU-BA

Scout

Nice... you might want to consider stowing the fenders, rather than
having them hanging. Also, the lazy sheet should probably be eased a bit
more, as it might distort the clew.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jon (and Joe)
Other than aesthetics, is there any practical value to stowing the fenders
onboard? I know this doesn't look as nice, but I hate to give up any space
onboard for them. I could leave them permanently tied to the dock
(floating). I am essentially lazy when it comes to the small stuff, but, I
am always willing to listen to good advice!

It's both an asthetic issue and a practical issue. Asthetically, it makes
you look like a lubber. :-) Practically, they're easy to lose when hanging.

It looks like you used a clove hitch (with extra turns) or possibly I can't
see the round turn with the two half hitches. Clove hitches can come undone
fairly easily.

Also, are you saying I should let the mainsail carry the boom? I haven't

No... I was talking about the jib sheets... specifically the sheet not under
load. I think lazy jacks were a boon to sailors who sail short-handed. I
prefer the Dutchman system, but either serve a useful purpose. It's not
unusual for Lazy Jacks to foul or snag battens when the sail is raised.
Coming down, they usually work fine.

actually tried that yet; I adjusted the lazy jacks to lift the boom enough
to clear the dodger. I've never used lazy jacks before; I do like them and
the roller furler too since I often sail shorthanded. Neal mentioned the
lazy jacks fouling the sail and I can see some contact there, although it
doesn't seem to have affected performance in any significant way. If I
have to buy a new mainsail sooner than later, I guess I can live with
that, but I doubt it.
Also, I can see getting used to adjusting the jib will take some practice.
It just doesn't look right, although the sails were full and according to
the gps, we hit 6.8 mph later that same night with 15 mph winds. The jib
sheets got tangled a bit. And, I don't quite have the hang of using the
self-tailing winches yet (it seems easier to pull the jib sheets by hand
than it is to crank the winch (sharing one handle).
Scout

I have self-tailers, but only use them if I have crew or I know I'm not
going to do much tacking/jibing. I only use a winch handle when my or my
crew's timing is off or it's a big boat and we need to jibe in high winds.
Remember, you can always get the helmsman to head up briefly to help you
trim in a sheet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com