Lloyd Sumpter

Default How do I get a hose on a fitting?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:18:07 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5".

Not sure what you mean here. The one fitting is the plastic 1" - 1 1/2"
adapter that I bought at a marine store (and it says "1 1/2" right on
it!). The other is the existing brass suction-break that was used with
1 1/2" diesel filler hose.

Warm the hose--don't overheat it!--and put a
little dish soap on the inside of it and on the fitting. You should be
able to get it the hose onto it. I can.

Thanks - I'll try it! If I can't, can you make a house-call to Vancouver,
Canada?

Try heating any hose that has to come OFF a fitting or a thru-hull.

Not sure I can get a hairdrier at this hose. Certainly can't get hot
water. At this point, I'm thinking angle-grinder (although I don't think
that would fit either...maybe a small explosive??)

I thought you said you'd bought my book...you might consider reading it
...'cuz all of the above is in it.

I'll do that!

Lloyd