posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman riverman is offline

Default BAD paddling on Survivor! Help?

On May 19, 10:10 pm, Two meter troll wrote:
On May 18, 9:51 am, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"

wrote:
On May 18, 9:09 am, pmh wrote:

On May 17, 3:30 am, Two meter troll wrote:

its a stupid show about stupid people in a stupid situation

It's merely the soap opera with different costume & makeup. And the
conflict points in the script are announced beforehand. The only
difference from daytime soaps is there's no pretense at even beginning
to imitate real life.

Pete H

There's no reason to consider the negatives in this forum other than
that it looks to me like a staffer is having everyone on every show/
season use their bent-shaft paddles backwards. The rest of the content
is immaterial. Paddlefolk naturally want media depictions of paddling
to be correct. To not mislead anyone. Of the millions who are
watching. Also, the folks on the show probably are indeed tired and
would benefit from easier paddling. And also, heck, they're people,
too---they're obviously nonpaddlers who are now getting to do some
paddling and it looks like some staffer is making them have a bad
time. If even a soap opera person is paddling for the first time I
want them to learn right so they can enjoy it. Does everyone just
naturally use a bentshaft backwards and never try it the other way and
notice a difference? I'm not sure I'd even notice the difference right
away. And if I had no experience to compare it to? --JP

you could go to the web site and put it in as a comment; maybe provide
a link to a vid of someone paddeling correctly. I am sorry but after
catching the "Reality" shows (i dont watch tv so ive only seen them at
other folks homes) and seeing things like people paddeling outriggers
whith the sail set or paddels being used in a pram instead of oars. i
dont have alot of empathy for them. i would like to see some real
skill; but it just looks to me like no one has told the folks in the
boat anything about boats. on one show they where wearing life vests
and had them buckeled wrong (the diagram is on the inside left of the
flotation device).

I have just gotten to expect that they are doing it wrong from the
getgo and dont really feel that a comment is even going to be
reguarded as help.- Hide quoted text -

http://tinyurl.com/3yu5un

Not everyone is doing what they are told, then. However, it seems
strange that a player who knows how to use a bentshaft would not tell
his teammates.

--riverman