posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

What a bunch of nonsense. NOONE you'll ever meet on the dock over 60
years old should be allowed to be the primary muscle on any boat going
out of the harbor, out of sight of land. ...
Larry

Larry, I'm not sure if you really believe this or are just trying to
stir up the conversation. In either case, it is complete nonsense.
I've met several 70 year olds who have are in great mental and
physical condition and who routinely sail their boats out of New
Zealand or Australia to the Pacific islands. Evidence suggests that
they have a handle on what it takes. Ability is ability. You either
have it or you don't. There may be a statistical correspondence with
age and ability, but there is no reason to believe that any particular
person will conform to it. Just for instance, I met a gentleman in
New Caledonia in his early 70's who was free diving to 60 feet with
fantastic bottom time. We met again on Norfolk Island and raced each
other on a hike... I think it was a tie, but he might argue. He can
still do hand stands. He sails his boat from Opua, New Zealand to New
Cal every year and is totally competent.

-- Tom.