posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

What a bunch of nonsense. NOONE you'll ever meet on the dock over 60
years old should be allowed to be the primary muscle on any boat going
out of the harbor, out of sight of land. ...
Larry

Larry, I'm not sure if you really believe this or are just trying to
stir up the conversation. In either case, it is complete nonsense.
I've met several 70 year olds who have are in great mental and
physical condition and who routinely sail their boats out of New
Zealand or Australia to the Pacific islands. Evidence suggests that
they have a handle on what it takes. Ability is ability. You either
have it or you don't. There may be a statistical correspondence with
age and ability, but there is no reason to believe that any particular
person will conform to it. Just for instance, I met a gentleman in
New Caledonia in his early 70's who was free diving to 60 feet with
fantastic bottom time. We met again on Norfolk Island and raced each
other on a hike... I think it was a tie, but he might argue. He can
still do hand stands. He sails his boat from Opua, New Zealand to New
Cal every year and is totally competent.

-- Tom.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

" wrote in
ups.com:

Larry, I'm not sure if you really believe this or are just trying to
stir up the conversation. In either case, it is complete nonsense.
I've met several 70 year olds who have are in great mental and
physical condition and who routinely sail their boats out of New
Zealand or Australia to the Pacific islands. Evidence suggests that
they have a handle on what it takes. Ability is ability. You either
have it or you don't.

Tom, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or a flamewar. I'm POSITIVE
sailors in your area of the world are MUCH more fit than the rich,
potbellied Americans walking down our docks in Charleston, SC. Those men
have been to sea for years, are hardened by hard work. OUR sailors are
bankers, lawyers, doctors, real estate tycoons who's hardest work is
standing in one place doing what they do in their tassled loafers under
an expensive Italian suit...in an air conditioned room...and working out
at the fitness center riding a bike and lifting small weights. Lifting
their glass at the yacht club or reaching in for their credit card raises
their heart rates.

They are playing a role game...."Captain". In America, it takes nothing
but MONEY, really. Some even mow their own lawns!....on riding lawn
mowers, of course! Those are the individuals you find offshore in
trouble, here.

Did anyone see what this nice old guy does for a living, besides the SS
checks and stock options, in this latest rescue? Does he fit my dock
description?

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
krj krj is offline

Larry wrote:
" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Face it Larry. You are just envious of people who have money. Why didn't
you go to school and become a CEO or some other lucrative endeavor.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

krj wrote in news:AE80i.6246$0x4.4806
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Face it Larry. You are just envious of people who have money. Why didn't
you go to school and become a CEO or some other lucrative endeavor.

Wow...now the attack takes a turn!....(c;

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment
10101 E Arapaho Rd
Richardson, TX 75081
972-301-3766
They were nasty when I politely said I wasn't interested....(c;
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Larry, I think you're begging the question. Maybe there aren't any
old sailors able to run a boat offshore in your town. I don't know.
But I thought your assertion was that no one over the age of 60 should
be allowed to be the primary muscle on a boat going out of sight of
land. There are some 60 and even 70 somethings out there who are
capable of handling the rigors of long passages in their own boats.
So, it doesn't make any sense to me to not allow them to do that if
they want to.

"BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN." -- Arthur
Ransome

-- Tom.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I don't recall just now, but how old was Sir Francis Chichester when he
circled the world in Gypsy Moth?

--Alan Gomes

I think he was 65 and suffering from cancer and chronic injuries...

-- Tom.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:17:21 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote:

I don't recall just now, but how old was Sir Francis Chichester when he
circled the world in Gypsy Moth?

In his early sixties, but when he was 70, he did 4,000 miles in 20
days missing the record by one day.

A very interesting man was Sir. Francis.