otnmbrd otnmbrd is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

"Capt. JG" wrote in
:
No doubt it's a net positive....but not a cureall.... and unless you
consider the possible limitations, not only in the system but also in it's
usage, then you are still going to get caught short at the wrong time.
The ability to call a vessel by name is probably one of it's greatest
benefits.....but knowing the name and then getting an answer to a call is
still not guaranteed to be successful.
I like it, I use it, but I frequently see problems with reception while
using it and I stay ready to try different channels while calling and try
to watch my "Boston" accent and tendency to talk fast.

otn

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* otnmbrd wrote, On 4/12/2007 7:26 PM:
AIS is not a "silver bullet". Although many ships are transitioning
to "ECDIS" wherein they will end up having a screen with a
chart/radar/AIS overlay, it is not all that common yet.
In most cases you are still dealing with a seperate AIS screen which
only list the targets and is only usefull if you have some reason to
look at it..... so .....if they haven't seen the target visually
and/or on radar, they may not check the AIS to see what's
about/around. Prudence would say visual..... check the radar for
targets with and without AIS, check the AIS for targets missed on
radar.... and back to visual....i.e., with each new system you
improve your lookout capabilities.....but only if you use them.

But AIS adds an extra dimension - A smaller vessel that feels at risk
of not being noticed can now hail a large vessel by name and ask if
they are being tracked. That would make a huge difference when
crossing busy lanes.

I think it's definitely a net positive, except for the cost. I suppose
it'll come down at some point.