Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default Good old State of Connecticut...

On 27 Mar 2007 19:23:35 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

Here's a guy that is licensed to command major tonnage, but yet will
be requiered to take a safety course to pilot a boat that could
probably fit in the tankers galley.

Interesting morning.

Let's just say that the reasoning is...well, arcane.

Plus it seems that while he's qualified to teach the class or a
USPS/USCG class without additional qualifications, he still need to
have taken either course or the State 8 hour course to qualify for the
certificate.

Addendum:

CT now offers a special endorsement to the Operater's Certificate
denoting that you can actually navigate with paper charts and such.
Minor thing actually, but I was curious if I qualified based on my
Master's License.

Turns out I don't - I have to take the course that I taught for three
years as a state instructor to qualify for the certificate or take the
USPS/USCG navigation course which is about three levels below my
qualifications.

Put another way, I can teach the course, but I don't qualify for the
certificate sticker unless I take the course and pass.

Don't you just love bureaucrats?