news.verizon.net news.verizon.net is offline

Default Whale watching in New England

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:51:00 -0400, Rick B. wrote:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:02:11 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and guests a
taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything,
etc.

We have sailed out to Stellwagen a number of times. Sailing makes it an all
day trip, usually arriving in time for lunch. We look for the commercial
whale watchers. We have not found much on the radio. Some watchers come
into view on the way out and we follow their lead. We have never been
disappointed. My best story is the time I was photographing my wife and
niece and they were watching a humpback broach less than a boat length
behind me. They didn't tell me about it until after I snapped their picture,
by then I heard the splash, but it was too late.