NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default wooden liveaboard

KLC .. there are still lots of wooden boats, both sail and power, up where I
keep my boat.

Years ago, I almost bought a wooden sloop. Built by Bud McIntosh up near
Dover, NH as I recall.

I backed off after the survey. Had rot in the transom.

Well, last spring ................ yup. There she was "The Toddy ll".

And she was still beautiful. She needed some TLC but there is just
something about a wood boat.

Strip plank boats are rather easy to build. Hard to repair though. With
the new epoxy's, I'd build a strip plank boat in a heart beat.

I don't know much about the cold molded boats. My teacher at my Power
Squadron course said they are very sweet. He used to own a Hinkley. If he
thinks they are sweet ;;;;;;;;;;;; they are sweet.

I was told the other day that a couple of boat builders down east will build
the hull for a customer and they the owner gets to finish her.

Using strip plank and lots of epoxy .. bet one could get a very nice hull.

Bob has that fever .. wood boat fever. This can be a very dangerous
condition.

Bob ,, if you are reading ... I know of a wooden sloop built in the early
1950's that is for sale. You would not know it to look at her, that is for
sure.

There is another beauty down east which is owned by a minister that I've
seen. She is spectacular. And she is strip plank with lots of epoxy.

The minister loves her, he just can't keep up with her and the flock at the
same time.

If wood is what you want .. go for it.

Just don't tell yourself that we are exagerating about the work involved.

It is ................ hours .................... and hours
..................... and hours ................. of work to keep up a wood
boat.

And .. if it is done right ?

Worth every minute.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
Bob,

If a boat is built of 12,000 pounds of wood and 1000 pounds of epoxy, what
would you call it?

Wooden Boat, says I. The epoxy cannot fully saturate the wood if it's more
than perhaps an 1/8 inch thick and quite porous to begin with (end-grain
balsa and the like excepted, but then how many boats are built
butcher-block style?).

It ain't steel, it ain't ferro, it ain't GRP, it ain't aluminum (or even
al-you-minnee-um). It's wood, sealed, laminated, and/or otherwise
incorporating epoxy and/or fiberglass into its composition.

Karin

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
No, it is not lap stake.

Im no expert but I think cold molding uses larger wood such as a plywood

layed across another piece of wood.

No, I think that is not correct. So do I get to call you ignorant or
stupid?

Seriously,, if you don't know the difference between a strip plank and
lap
stake constructed wooden boat ...

SInce you are so set at criticizing instead of understanding I am
going to assume you are simply an arogant ass. The correct term is
STRAKE and not stake as you use. I have a like for your enlightment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strake

You are also wrong about cold mold method as discribed by the G. Bros.

Now about your "strip planking." I under stand the process. It was
your vague use of the term and your other ignorant statments that lead
me to believe you simply had a novice understand of strip plank
construction methods. Yes, taking 2"x2" chunks of wood and fastening
to one another by side nailing is an old Recreational Small Home Build
method. Then with recent improvments, ie epoxy saturation, it is
possible to incapsulate the whole thing............. That is where I
stop and say that is not a wood boat. It is a boat made of, not GRP,
rather Wood Reinforced Epoxy. Saturating wood such as cedar and red
wood is not in my opinion a wood boat. It sure do look pretty as a 17'
canoa on top of your Subaru Outback though.

Hell you can use foam, cardboard, plywood, veners, C-Flex, and stucko
on chicken wire then slop epoxy over it all. I would not call that a
wood boat either.

But I think what ****ed me off more was your asumption that I was
ignorant simply when I was attempting to understand your use of the
phrase "strip planking"

Your not ignorant, just uninformed about wooden boats.

So excuse me for having a westcoast vocabulary and a desire to
understand your developing maritime language skills.
In other words............... Arg ! that aint no wood boat Dick.
GFY