posted to rec.boats.building
YSTay YSTay is offline

Default Awlgrip-Painting textured surface??

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
The ceiling of my boat is textured gelcoat. As I read the Awlgrip
instructions they seem to insist on preparation which would destroy
the texture. Can I not simply wash and deway according to their
instructions, followed by a sound scuffing with an abrasive pad,
followed by a wipe down, followed by either brush or roller
application?

All suggestions appreciated.

Joe

There are 3 ways paint sticks to a substrate- Mechanically (sanded surface),
chemically and not at all. In the third case, paint simply forms a tough
self supporting film over a substrate to which it cannot adhere to. Think
of the ABS bumper on your car. Good quality paints do this better than
cheap paints because they are tougher. I think you'll be fine with what
you're intending to do.

Arnold