Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default advice on purchasing Hydra Sports 230 WA

On Mar 2, 7:38�pm, "wojo" u32209@uwe wrote:
We are contemplating purchasing a Hydra Sports 230 WA. *Can anyone give me
any information about the quality, ride, handling, etc of this boat. *We are
also looking at a Key West 2300 WA, but the dealer does not have a 2300 in
stock. *We looked at a 2300 WA that we found in a fenced area at a marina,
but it appears that the back area of the boat is very small. *Anyone know
about the Key West. *We also looked at a Pro Line, but that boat doesn't have
good rankings with J D Powers. *What would you buy? *Hydra Sports, Key West,
Pro Line, or Sea Pro??????

One of the boats we're featuring in the next issue of our magazine is
the Hydra Sports 2500 VX. I spent some time aboard one last week, (not
under way), and I thought the boat was pretty impressive.

One of the things I am pretty sensitive to is the way things "feel" on
a boat.
Nothing turns me off faster than stuff that is less than sturdy,
flexes when handled, is "get by" skinny, or moves with a lot of slop
and shimmy.

I'd compare the sense of solidity during a thorough examination with
some of the best boats in that class. Built like a brick outhouse.
Kevlar reinforced hull, ceramic (!) transom, integrated stringer grid,
steel reinforced hoses, you name it.

I could envision a couple of fishing buddies or a small family
overnighting in the cabin on the 2500 VX. Fully plumbed VacuFlush
marine head (no "porta pottie" to dump), hot and cold pressure water,
fridge/freezer, microwave oven,
.....nothing too elaborate but surely enough to be comfortable for a
couple of days or so.

The retail sticker on a well optioned boat with twin 150-HP ETECs and
a galvanized trailer was not too far north of $100k. Tests done by
another organization and offered as a handout by the Hydra Sports
dealer indicate tht top speed with those engines on this hull is about
45.5 MPH (32.34 GPH) and a more efficient cruise speed would be 28.2
MPH (12.82 GPH).