posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Anchor Chain

* Joe wrote, On 2/24/2007 10:05 PM:
I do not like the ideal of tying off a chain with rope to the padeye.
Then again, I have the strength of steel:0)
Right Joe, you confessed that 15 feet of chain is so heavy that you
need a windlass!
Not for the weight of the chain Jeff.

Feel free to back pedal all you want.

Back Pedal? It's that last 15-20 ft of chain thats a bitch around
here, the rest is easy, you wanna bust your back go ahead, IIl just
rachet in

As I've said, I have a windlass on my primary. However, 15 feet of my
chain is only 15 pounds, so if that's too heavy for you, you have my
condolences. Of course, much depends on the size of the anchor
attached to that chain.

I'll stand by my point. There are lots of boats the should have 20
feet of chain but don't need a windlass.

BTW I have a windlass and a cat head. A Navy #1 built in 1901. Cast
iron hot galvanized dipped. It will pull the bow under if needed.

Good for you. It probably weighs more than my windlass

only about 180 pounds

and all my
ground tackle put together.

Let's see: I have 50 feet of chain, a 35# Delta, 250 feet of line,
Lewmar windlass. That comes out to about 140 pounds. On the other
bow the Delta with rode is about 35 pounds. So your windlass is a bit
more than all my gear. But then, I have a lightweight catamaran and
you have a heavy steel boat.