posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

But if 'emergency' is a concern to you, you should have the distress
function that is only availbale on marine ssb's.

I don't get you point with the weight. Don't you carry some 200 liter of
fresh water ?

price I agree. It's clear that there is to litlle competition on marine
rig's and consequently the prices are 20-30% higher for the "same" rig.

Bjarke

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 18 Feb, 06:11, Larry wrote:
"Steve" wrote
groups.com:

and marine bands (after appropriate doctoring)

If they catch you using ham gear on the marine bands, they'll take your
ham license and ship license and fine you bigtime. It is something to
consider. Unless your 706 or Yahoo has the high stability master
oscillator, it isn't stable enough for marine band use, which is why it's
not approved.

Thanks for this.

I should have mde it clear. It will be used for ham, including pactor,
and for receiving weather. However it will be modfied to give access
to marine HF. In case of emergency I want all options available. But
it will not be routinely used on marie bands.

The M802 is too big, too heavy and too expensive for my purposes.