posted to rec.boats.paddle
John Fereira John Fereira is offline

Default Roll class for sea kayakers?

"Moby Dick" wrote in
oups.com:

A couple of comments on the list...

Thanks, Monk. I did a search on Amazon. There seems to be a number of
good books and DVDs. I listed the first 9 book and 2 DVD's below.

1. The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking, 5th by Derek C. Hutchinson (The
one you recommended).
3. Sea Kayaking: A Manual for Long-Distance Touring by John Dowd

The Derek Hutchinson and John Dowd books are typically on every "essential
books" on Sea Kayaking I've seen. I've got a copy of both. Derek's is an
easier read but there are some that consider his strong opinions a bit
controversial. I personally like them man and took a class from him a long
time ago and my skill level increased significantly after just a two hour
class.

4. Sea Kayaking: A Woman's Guide by Shelley Johnson

5. Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation, 3rd (Sea Kayaking How- To) by
David Burch

Burch's book is considered the bible on kayak navigation. Many have read it
several times, primarily because it's somewhat of a dry read and it takes
several reads to understand it all. It's worth getting but probably not
necessary for getting started.

9. The Complete Sea Kayaker's Handbook by Shelley Johnson

I've seen a lot of recommendations for this book, and some rank it higher
than Hutchinsons book.

A few more to add to your list...

Sea Kayaking: Safety & Rescue by John Lull

Sea Kayak Rescue, 2nd: The Definitive Guide to Modern Reentry and Recovery
Techniques (How to Paddle Series) by Roger Schumann and Jan Shriner

Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea
Kayaker Magazine by Matt Broze and George Gronseth

If you want to just read about a couple of kayak expeditions, I highly
recommend Chris Duff's books, "One Celtic Tides" and "Southern Exposure"

Something else that you may consider...

When I first got started in the sport I attended a Sea Kayaking symposium in
Maine (that's where I took the class from Mutchinson). There are lots of
symposia that occur throughout out the country that are an excellent means
to immerse your self in sea kayaking for several days. They offer training
opportunities and are attended by many kayak vendors that provide a vast
array of models to demo. Check the Sea Kayaker magazine web site events
calendar for a good list (www.seakayakermag.com). The next good one coming
up is in Charleston, SC (East Coast Canoe and Kayak Festival).

PS: I agree with you on safety. Also, unless something happens, I'll
be in a basic kayaking class next Tuesday and a roll class the
following week.

Excellent.