News f2s News f2s is offline

Default Anchor Size ,, does size matter.. that's a joke son .. question

"druid" wrote in message
Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

Very unusual. Just as a matter of interest, when you have dug the anchor in
on these short scopes, do you check that the anchor will hold when you have
15hp going full astern? That's my test for a good sleep in a 32ft when the
wind might lift to 25kts or so.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
compares the cruise areas of Europe, with detail on Greece.