Default Anchor Size ,, does size matter.. that's a joke son .. question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:26:47 +0000, NE Sailboat wrote:

Just read a web story about a dragging anchor. So, I start to think???
How big.. that is how much bigger than the recommended anchor can a boat
use.

Do you all ,,, in north talk that is "you guys" .. carry a big, huge,
anchor.. the one for the "tough" job?

And what size in relation to boat size.

Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

And it's not like I'm alone in this: most boats my size (36ft sailboat)
have maybe 16-lb Bruces they set with maybe 3 to 1.

druid - loves his CQR

Hi, I've just bought one of these:
http://www.anchorbuddy.co.nz/
It is a bit of a mission to put it on the chain, but it became easier with
experience. First impression is great improvement in holding (in
combination with Danforth) and far less swing. It seemed a good idea as the
extra weight is more effective than additional anchor weight. Anyone else
out there with experience with these over a longer period? In the USA it's
marketed as Kiwi Anchor Rider.
Plano

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Just read a web story about a dragging anchor. So, I start to think???
How big.. that is how much bigger than the recommended anchor can a boat
use.

Do you all ,,, in north talk that is "you guys" .. carry a big, huge,
anchor.. the one for the "tough" job?

And what size in relation to boat size.

Bob Bob is offline

This sounds too much like a troll...... but I'll bight.
Size does matter as with many other things.

Since you are aking this qustion iknow that you have not read the
Bible of anchoring.

Hinz, Earl R., The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring. Cornell
Maritme Press. Centreville, Maryland. 20001.

Get it, read it! Keep it and read it again!
Bob

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:38:10 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

When we used a Danforth, switching from the recommended 6' of 1/4 to 15'
of 3/8 significantly improved the set in the Chesapeake mud/sand. If a
storm piped up, we had a heck of a time hauling it up, but it never
tripped out.

Danforth's have amazing holding power in those conditions. Once set
on decent scope, I've never had one pull out.

I did -- once. That's why we added the heavy chain. Though set, it was
close enough to the surface that a wind shift tripped it out. The extra
chain lets it dive pretty deep.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

NE Sailboat wrote:
Just read a web story about a dragging anchor. So, I start to think???
How big.. that is how much bigger than the recommended anchor can a boat
use.

Do you all ,,, in north talk that is "you guys" .. carry a big, huge,
anchor.. the one for the "tough" job?

And what size in relation to boat size.

Last boat:

30' Monohull, cutter rig, high bow so somewhat greater than average
windage:

35 # Delta, 1/4" grade 40 chain 300'
35 # CQR clone, 30' 1/4" chain + 300' x 1/2" double braid rope
22 # Danforth, 6' 1/4" chain + 250' x 1" nylon webbing

The Delta held decently in winds 40 knots except in the soft muck in
the Chesapeake. The CQR actually did better there - probably the
lesser area allowed it to sink more easily into the firmer stuff below
the soft stuff on top.

Current boat:

40' cruising catamaran, 13,000 lbs fully loaded.

33# A140 Spade - huge anchor suggested for up to 65' boat, 100' x
5/16" chain + 200' 5/8" rope

Fortress FX37 - also a pretty big anchor, for 46-51' boasts, 50' x
5/16" chain + 200' 5/8" rope

Still have the 22 # Danforth, 6' 1/4" chain + 250' x 1/2" nylon double
braid

+ the webbing and some 400' of 5/8" for a parachute sea anchor.

No such thing as too big an anchor. If people don't point and laugh,
it's not big enough.

Evan Gatehouse

tom tom is offline

if you want to go smaller but still want to be able to handle the
ultimate storm,
tandem up 2 anchors: lay a danforth with 35 ft of chain, attach the
other end
of the chain to the head of a CQR, lay the CQR.
In addition to the "you can have anchors too big", you also can't have
too many
anchors. Fortresses are great for this duty (their light, come apart,
easily stowable).
Tom

plano wrote:
Hi, I've just bought one of these:
http://www.anchorbuddy.co.nz/
It is a bit of a mission to put it on the chain, but it became easier with
experience. First impression is great improvement in holding (in
combination with Danforth) and far less swing. It seemed a good idea as the
extra weight is more effective than additional anchor weight. Anyone else
out there with experience with these over a longer period? In the USA it's
marketed as Kiwi Anchor Rider.
Plano

I sometimes shackle a small dinghy mushroom on the rode and ride it
down. What does the Kiwi do better for $300?

I used to use the dinghy anchor more as a hammerlock on my old boat to
prevent it from "horsing" at anchor. A hammerlock is simply a weight
dropped from the bow on very short scope that slows down the
wanderings. I keep a large shackle with the kit so it also serves as
a kellet.

I have friends that use a kellet a lot; they do it it with a dive belt
on a shackle.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:14:46 -0800, druid wrote:

Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

And it's not like I'm alone in this: most boats my size (36ft sailboat)
have maybe 16-lb Bruces they set with maybe 3 to 1.

druid - loves his CQR

Some places are like that. Here in South Louisiana, Vermillion Bay, 2
to 1 with a Danforth will do it no matter what. I must admit overnight
I use 5 to 1, then spend tens of minutes powering back and forth
taking up 6 to 8 inches of rode at a time. Our bottom is pure gumbo
mud with some clay under it. Most of the time the anchor comes up with
20 to 50 lbs of "gumbo" on it.

Someone mentioned using a Kellet. We started using one in South
Florida after wind and current caused the rode to catch on the keel.
That was interesting! Used a 10-lb mushroom anchor from the dinghy at
first, then poured lead in a soup can with a loop imbedded. That I
suspect expensive "Anchorbuddy" is the same thing, only apparently
more trouble to use. I just rigged about 25 ft. of line and a 2-foot
length with a snap schakle on the free end. Snap it onto the anchor
rode after setting and let it slide down, cleating the 25 ft. length
where you want. And yes, it works as advertised re more secure and
less swinging.

Rick

"druid" wrote in message
Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

Very unusual. Just as a matter of interest, when you have dug the anchor in
on these short scopes, do you check that the anchor will hold when you have
15hp going full astern? That's my test for a good sleep in a 32ft when the
wind might lift to 25kts or so.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
compares the cruise areas of Europe, with detail on Greece.

Trim tabs size question Big Daddy General 35 November 24th 04 04:51 PM
Teaching question Jonathan Ganz ASA 65 July 22nd 04 12:27 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM