Rod McInnis

Default Which way do I turn the torque fin to compensate for the pull?

"mono sect" wrote in message
My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise spinning prop, which direction
should the fin thing be turned to compensate...and how much?

I second what Joe says: the fin acts to turn the outdrive. It doesn't turn
the boat.

If the boat pulls to the right, then it is because the outdrive wants to
kick to the right. To counteract that, you want the fin to push the
outdrive to the left. Where this gets confusing is when you try to think of
the fin as a rudder, because to get the outdrive to kick to the right you
need the fin turned so that the tail end is to the right, which if it were a
rudder would make you turn right.

Bottom line: Turn it a small amount and try it. If it gets worse, move it
the other way.

Rod